Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Identifying a Learning Environment to Apply LEDx

Identifying a Learning Environment to Apply LEDx

November 1, 2016 - Brad Griffith

I manage the Self-Paced Online Course (SPOC) program at my institution, specifically handling communication with deans and department chairs and the occasional student issue. My colleague, Glenda is a Learner Experience Manager and handles all student inquiries for the program, in addition to monitoring course access, sending reminders of administrative deadlines for the course, responding to inquiries, and resolving student issues.  I would like to apply LEDx to Glenda's role of student management in the SPOC program.

As my client for this project, Glenda is the point of contact for all students and faculty regarding student issues.  She manages the department email account in addition to embedding her presence into each course that we offer. I used to serve in Glenda's capacity when I started working in my department and have worked directly with her as the SPOC program has changed over the last year and these efforts have been incorporated.  For the purpose of this learning environment, she acts as facilitator.

I have selected this project because there are multiple layers that have to work together in order to ensure a successful educational experience for a student in this type of course, our learners in this environment.  It's hard enough to manage one's time over the period of eight weeks, but I believe there are things we can do to help ease some of the confusion and offer motivation to each person.  When I held Glenda's role, I found it frustrating that some of my interventions didn't work and I would like to help her confront this because I know it's an ongoing issue. 

This learning environment matters because it directly affects students progress towards earning their degree.  The types of courses we offer are ones that students sometimes seek out of desperation, convenience, or to get ahead and I think any of those three reasons has a significant impact on their educational experience.  It matters for my position because I am charged with following up on any possible initiative we can undertake to improve retention and success rates at my institution.

I plan to use the LEDx framework to not only gain empathy for Glenda and her students' needs, but to help me break down the various layers within this environment that need to be examined in this process.  Glenda handles all types of issues from students. Some are easy and pleasant to deal with, others are not.  I'd like to look at each method of communication she uses, the content she is distributing, and what her students need in order to succeed. I think the focus boards and discover datasheets will help to organize all of this information and frame my conversations with Glenda in a way that allows us to explore these layers in depth.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Brad. I think this project will be a great opportunity for applying LEDx. I appreciate your thoughtful narrative, and know you and Glenda will both benefit from the process.

    ReplyDelete