Monday, November 7, 2016

Facilitating the Discover Step - Lessons Learned

Facilitating the Discover Step - Lessons Learned

Brad Griffith

In the discover step of my learning environment project, I met with my client and had a productive discussion of the goals and scope of the program certification process as we both understood it.

I learned within the first few minutes of the beginning of our meeting that I had made a few assumptions about what he was wanting out of the project, such as adding requirements or how public information would be handled.  I was glad here to have had this information present on the datasheet because if we hadn't discussed it, I could have easily proceeded in the project with a false understanding of what needed to be done.

It also helped me understand what was truly important to my client in this project and what could be negotiated if necessary.  I plan to keep the datasheets from my previous meeting to inform my future ideas from this process and to make sure that I'm keeping on track with what's needed and not making assumptions again.

Finally, I'll just mention that the discover step has brought a sense of ease to me in approaching this project.  I have never worked with a program certification process before, but I feel confident that with the steps of LEDx and having completed the discover phase that I will be able to make the connection between what my client needs and a finished product. 

1 comment:

  1. Brad,
    I am glad you mentioned the false assumptions that the discovery stage helped you avoid. It is so easy to move forward based on our own understanding and goals. The discovery sheets helped me to capture the ideas and have a visual artifact to share with the group. Great post!

    ReplyDelete