Friday, December 2, 2016

Facilitating the Understand Step - Lessons Learned

Facilitating the Understand Step - Lessons Learned

Brad Griffith - December 2, 2016


I used the understand step in this process to really attempt to grasp what my client wanted out of his project, a program certification process.  I found it so useful to come to the table having already researched this learning environment somewhat and felt confident having had an example to share with him so that we could exchange ideas and not feel pressured to reinvent the wheel, just customize it.


I found it a bit challenging to try and maintain in the conversation at first that this model was not set in stone and that it was really the beginning of a conversation so that I could find out the true goals of the client. 


I learned during this step that it's of utmost importance to listen actively to the client in this process and to take note not only of the reactions they have to your ideas, but of the ideas they come up with during this process.  I brought two copies of each model with me to the meeting so that we could both take notes if needed.  Most importantly to share with you, I believe, is the copy I kept of that...




We came upon a few key questions about this process, such as wanting to know why a program would decide not to pursue a certification after seeking information about it and about how we could incorporate consulting into the forefront of this learning environment for the client.  This is specifically how Michael's program wants to differ from the existing example I provided through the diagnostic model I originally showed him during the meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment