Thursday, September 8, 2016

Planning a Learning Environment Design Experience

LEDx for Communicative Foreign Language Teaching
Brad Griffith - September 8, 2016

Awhile back, I created this model based upon what I have previously done to teach foreign language communicatively.  This basically means that language is learned thorough communication that mirrors a normal person's use of the language, specifically contrary to the ineffective approach of teaching a grammar topic and considering it mastery if a student can reproduce it on paper.




As you can see, this model begins with a class discussion led by the facilitator of the previous session's topic, followed by a short quiz with feedback, presentation of a new grammar topic followed by discussion, and a practice opportunity.  I also allowed for peer feedback.  The conclusion of this is an assessment completed independently by the students.

Now that I've learned about LEDx and how to approach this learning environment, my model has changed and, in fact, simplified!

This was a different sort of experience for me since I approached this not only from the learner's perspective, but also from what I knew needed to be accomplished as an instructor considering my method of teaching.  I immediately wanted to give students a lower effective filter in the class by bringing everyone "down a notch" with a new topic at the beginning.   By using the unfamiliar topic that they were to learn that day, students are all unsure and have to search for meaning in the words. This is an improvement on my rather regimented first model.

Students have already received feedback from me on their first impression before I present the actual content that is to be learned.  I also wanted to give students an opportunity to practice independently and recognize what they had missed before having to participate in a group environment.  I envisioned this as continuing to emphasize peer learning, so it's important that there be an element of group practice. 

It's interesting that much of this model requires students to verbally practice because I found it necessary to add a separate discussion element before the final phase to ensure that students and the instructor have a clear set of expectations of what is required in order to demonstrate competency.

Overall, this model is much more focused on the experience of the student than in my previous approach.  I was considering that students had to communicate through speech and writing in order to master nuances of a language, but I think this model accounts for the dynamics of a classroom in a much better way.


2 comments:

  1. I like this model,Brad, and it shows the benefits of LEDx. Your resulting model is consistent both with good pedagogy in general -- contextualize learners, allow them to discover and personalize information, and then move through spaced application and recall -- but also with communicative approaches in language acquisition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your model is excellent! This is a great guide to follow when teaching foreign languages, continued practice, both written and verbal, and then feedback, feedback, feedback!

    ReplyDelete